BJJ / Grappling Tips: How Much Resistance Should I Use?



Check this beautiful video by BJJ Hacks called "Let Your Jiu-Jitsu Flow to Get Better" about Clark Gracie




Why do I feel it's important to dial the resistance down when training Jiujitsu?

Tombstone analogy:


You often hear motivational speakers and authors refer to the Tombstone analogy when helping people define their goals:

"Start with the end in mind. Decide what you want to achieve then plan accordingly"

While I don't necessarily believe in goal setting that way, I feel this concept can help set the tone / attitude of your sessions. 

What do you want to say you'd done at the end of that particular session:

1) I used a lot of my attributes and I stopped everyone else and no one could stop me. 

2) I used hardly any attributes to begin with and I stopped everyone and no one could stop me. Then when they turned on the pressure by 50 units, I only increased my attributes by 5-10 units. At the ends of the session, I was quite fresh and could go on. 

Which statement do you want to describe your session? Your month? Your year?


Here's some fantastic footage by the Grandmaster Helio Gracie teaching the fundamentals of self defence to to then white belt Cassio Werneck. Watch how smoothly he moves:



What do you want your Jiujitsu legacy to be?
--------------------------------------------------

ZHOO ZHITSU IS FOR EVERYONE!

Check for more resources on Amazon.com:

No comments: