Gravity should always be your friend in BJJ / Grappling whether you are on the top or the bottom, even in the standing phase, as I said in a previous post. I talked about the more unusual bottom application and here are a few grappling concepts to consider regarding the top positions.
|Never too young to start jiujitsu|
- Preventing them from turning into you: There are many ways to do that. From cross face to pry bar to knee control but they all boil down to one thing: They are not allowed to freely look your way. Control the head or hips and the body will follow.
- Preventing them from turning away from you*: Same situation here. The ways are many but the fundamental is that you want their shoulders or hips controlled
- Play the physics game: Apply your weight directly through him. This can be done by following the simple formula for pressure:
- Increase the force: No not gain weight but rather put more of your weight on him by anchoring properly and lifting your knees off the ground.
- Decrease the contact area: Don’t just lie on your partner. Constantly find ways to turn and wedge to reduce how much of your chest is in contact with your partner.
That’s the receipt you want. Come on. Admit it!
*You could of course allow them to turn away and give you their back, but that’s another objective and it should still be done on your terms.
ZHOO ZHITSU IS FOR EVERYONE!
Liam "The Part Time Grappler" Wandi
Proudly sponsored by Predator Fightwear: Built for the kill and Brutal TShirt: Made By Grapplers For Fighters