BJJ / Grappling Tips: Underhooks

As you all know, I'm a Part Time Grappler. On top of that, I'm a bit of a slow learner.

I don't want to / don't have time to learn multiple ways to do something and I have no dreams of beating world champions. I do, however, want to become very good at grappling / Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which statistically is very achievable even if all you can do is 3-4 hours of mat training per week.

To achieve that, you need to do a number of things:

1. Use every minute on the mat intelligently
2. Turn every opportunity into an opportunity to improve either your grappling / BJJ skills or the specific attributes that contribute to the grappling / BJJ game.
3. Look after your diet and health with a focus on longevity

and a few more. You just have to keep reading this blog to find out :)

The motivation behind this post is an article by fellow BJJ blogger Allie and it's a double edged reason:

a. She focuses her post on the use of underhooks in grappling and how paying attention to this single detail can change the whole roll.
b. She does that so succinctly. In 218 words she gets her point across.

If I could give one single point that changed my whole game and will undoubtedly change yours too it's "Always aim to get the underhook(s)". Always*

In stand-up
In guard passing
In half guard
In guard
In mount...



Always.

Thank you Allie for reminding me of this and for doing it so well.



*I know I know. But it's such a great habit to get into. Start worrying about exceptions to the rule when you get to brown/black!
----Did You Like This Article?--- Click here to add The Part Time Grappler to your Favourites / Bookmarks

2 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

My problem is being able to focus on my arms and legs at the same time! lol If I am thin king about getting underhooks, my hips and legs work sloppier and vice versa. Maybe in time my body will get with the program. ;)

Liam H Wandi said...

yes I promise you they will!! I worked on underhooks for ages and after a couple of years, I started curling my hamstring when passing open guard and as if by magic I wasn't getting caught in half guard as usual!!! The underhook is the key though.