BJJ Interview: Rakaa! The Part Time Grappler interviews Gracie Jiu Jitsu practitioner and Hip Hop Master Rakaa

Introduction of Rakaa- The Part Time Grappler style:


The man above is Hip Hop Master Rakaa, also known from the collaboration Dilated Peoples. He first caught my attention when I kept seeing him in pictures of Gran master Helio Gracie taken at the Gracie Academy in Torrence, California and from my converrsations with him I have come to be inspired by the man's resilience and eternal pursuit of his dreams. He was kind enough to give me some of his most valuable posession: His time. I hope you enjoy this interview (part one of two)

The Part Time Grappler interviews Gracie Jiu Jitsu practitioner and Hip Hop Master Rakaa:



Hi Rakaa. Why don’t we start by you telling us a little about yourself?

My name is Rakaa… Some know me as Iriscience. I represent Dilated Peoples, Rock Steady Crew, Universal Zulu Nation, C2D, Expansion Team Soundsystem, Los Angeles, CA, and the world.

I understand you currently working in the music industry. Tell us a little about your involvement in the field?

I am one of the two MC’s in Dilated Peoples. I also travel the world as a host for various events. I just released my debut solo album called Crown Of Thorns (Expansion Team / Decon), and it’s in stores now. Dilated is still in full effect, and we’ll be dropping a new group album in late 2011.

Are you currently studying? Is that Full time / Part time?

I study Gracie Jiu Jitsu part-time. I am a full-time recording/touring artist, and I am also a full-time Advertising student at Academy of Art University. Finishing my degree while I record/travel for work and train as much as possible. I should train more, and I will be doing so.

You also set aside time to practice a sport. Which sport(s)?

Other than Gracie Jiu Jitsu? No… I watch other sports, but I only practice martial arts.

How long have you done that?

I have trained in GJJ for about 10 years. I studied other arts before that, and I have trained in other arts since, but GJJ has been (and remains to be) my base.


Stay tuned for Part 2. In the meantime, check out Rakaa's tour schedule:

AUTO-REVERSE TOUR DATES (MORE DATES COMING SOON):

Wed 10/20 Solana Beach, CA Belly Up Tavern
Thu 10/21 West Hollywood, CA The Roxy Theatre
Fri 10/22 San Francisco, CA The Independent
Sat 10/23 Crystal Bay, NV Crown Room
Tue 10/26 Salt Lake City, UT The State Room
Wed 10/27 Boise, ID Reef
Thu 10/28 Ketchum, ID Whiskey Jacques
Fri 10/29 Victor ID, Knotty Pine
Sat 10/30 Bozeman, MT Emerson Cultural Center
Sun 10/31 Missoula, MT The Top Hat
Thu 11/04 Vancouver, BC The Biltmore Cabaret*


*Chali 2na not performing


FOR PRESS INQUIRIES CONTACT THOMAS FRICILONE






----Did You Like This Article?--- Click here to add The Part Time Grappler to your Favourites / Bookmarks

No comments: