Training Tips: When Too Busy for BJJ / Grappling, Do Something!!


The whole idea with this blog is to give us Part Time Grapplers hope when time seems to get scarce. Lately, I have been completely swamped under with Uni assignments and exam preparations, not to mention work. This has meant that BJJ / Grappling has had to take a back seat and I have learnt that’s OK. But what-a-to-do?

Well, the best way to improve at BJJ / Grappling is to actually do it. Technique sessions, light rolling, competitive rolling…etc. AKA Mat-time!

But when you can’t get enough mat-time I find that following to be a golden rule:

Doing Something is Much Much Better than doing Nothing

Blaming never gets anyone anywhere good in a hurry.

As you may have read before, I have developed an interest in CrossFit. I have toyed with posting my daily workouts here but didn’t want it to become a chore, nor do I want this blog to turn into “Look-at-what-Liam-Can/Can’t-Do” but I think it would help those of us who think there aren’t enough hours in the day to see what I get up to and how I fit (or try to fit) everything together:

Average Weekday (this is only typical for when Uni takes over my life):

6.00 Wake up
7.30 At work, in one of our empty meeting rooms, coffee in one hand, Uni book in other hand
8.30 Time for Breakfast (On The Warrior Diet, this is 2 pieces of fruit, 1 pot of Yogurt and Water and tea.
8.45 At my desk, ready to start the day
12.30 Hit the gym at work to do WOD* (Workout Of the Day. Not my lingo!)
1.15 Showered and back at my desk
5.00 Leave home
7.00 Rested and (very well-) fed and ready to study some more
9.30 Time to call it a day. Spend some time with my wife.
10.00 – 10.30 In bed. Lala Land!

Lather, rinse and repeat Monday – Friday, with one session of BJJ / Grappling squashed in here or there. Intense periods like this seldom last for more than 3-4 weeks and can actually do your brain and body good by giving them a different feed.

Click on the envelope to the right and let me know what you all think

*Today’s WOD was:
  1. Warm up
  2. 1000 meter row on the Concept II (level 6, 3.51min)
  3. KB Snatches (40 reps) (20/arm)
  4. Pull-ups (Max reps) (14 reps)
  5. Stretches
----Did You Like This Article?--- Drop me a line on parttimegrappler@ymail.com or explore some of the recommended past articles on the right...

No comments: