BJJ / Grappling Tips from Robson Moura, Gustavo Dantas and Vítor Shaolin Ribeiro.

In 2016 I had the amazing chance to learn from the legend professor Robson Moura when he held a seminar down at NSBJJ in Battersea, London. More importantly, I had a chance to chat to him after the seminar but also to professors Gustavo Dantas and Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro who were both at NSBJJ preparing for Shaolin’s upcoming fight on Polaris Pro. I asked them all different questions: 



“Robinho, if you had to design the perfect 60 minute class, what would it look like?”


“1. It would be a gi-class because 80% of gi can be adapted to nogi. 
2. I would also incorporate Jiujitsu movement drills into the warm up to save time.
3. Sparring would be short (5 min) rounds keep the roll more interesting and fresh
4. In the specific sparring I would insist on the following:

“Must try. Must attempt. Must fail: to learn”



I asked professor Dantas: “if a student only can do a couple of 60 min classes a week, what would you advise them?”

“Well before I say anything, I have to listen to them. We must do an honest review of your situation and see how many hours you can train per week and if that can change. For example, are you wasting any time on things that don’t add your life? If all you are looking to do is train, learn and enjoy yourself that is absolutely fine. If you commit to a goal like competing at an event it's different! The problems happen when your goal and level of commitment or circumstances don’t match each other.”


“How much sparring do you recommend Gustavo?”

“3 x 5 min rounds for white belts
Colour belt minimum 4 x 5 min rounds”



They both seem to agree on the 5 min rounds thing!



“Quick question Shaolin, what do you do when you are travelling and can’t find good food, like at an airport or something like that?”

“Hmm. I keep it simple. If I can find some bread with some butter, I’ll be happy. But the best found I’ve found that you can find in almost any shop is almonds. Easy digestion, fiber, protein, carbs, good fat. Perfect food!”

I am forever fascinated by simplicity.

--------------------------------------------------

ZHOO ZHITSU IS FOR EVERYONE!

Check for more resources on Amazon.com:

No comments: