BJJ / Grappling Tips: Mount transitions and fundamental movements

I love the fundamentals of Brazilian or Gracie Jiu Jitsu. The main reason is because I love movement. I am passionate about movement being the main component of life itself. While sweeps, escapes and submissions of BJJ are amazing, to me the simple art of moving around your opponent in the most energy efficient way is the most important, and visually attractive, part of our art of Brazilian Jiu jitsu.

Have a look at this clip of one of the masters of movement, Mr Andre Galvao in his now famous "Andre Galvao - Match One":



But how do we get to such dizzying heights of mastery? Where do we start?

When it comes to the top game, I recommend spending a lot of time playing around with the Swiss exercise balls, just to get to grips with your BJJ specific balance.

In the clip below, courtesy of BJJWeekly.com, another fantastic master of movement and Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Mr Ryron Gracie - the oldest grandson of Helio Gracie and son of Rorion Gracie, demonstrates a fundamental movement from top. This movement, mount to knee on belly switch, is a great way to get into learning the fundamentals of movement. This basic transition forms the heart and soul of what I teach in my BJJ privates for the top game:



I hope you like it. Start small and build it up.

Liam "The Part Time Grappler" Wandi

----Did You Like This Article?--- Click here to add The Part Time Grappler to your Favourites / Bookmarks

No comments: