15.5.09

BJJ Time Management Tips: The Value of Planning


If your training, and indeed any activity you pursue, is important to you, and I assume it is otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this, then you need anticipate obstacles and to plan ahead.

I'm flying home to Sweden next Thursday and since I train on Mondays and Wednesdays, yet will be spending next Wednesday evening with my wife before I leave her for 4 days, I have already emailed ahead to a club in Gothenburg and secured me a session on the Friday. Not only will I experience training at a different academy and with different people games and energies, but also I can pride myself in the fact that once again I achieved a win-win and I couldn't have done it without planning ahead.

Sure I can leave my wife behind and go to session on Wednesday. Sure I can appeal to her forgiving side. But if you don't see why I prefer my way, you probably don't subscribe to my "I want it all!" mentality. I don’t like choosing and I fell that, at least most of the time, I don’t need to.

So take a good look at the three-four weeks ahead and try to anticipate anything that might come in the way of a perfectly balanced week (a wedding invite, an exam, in-laws in town, a bank holiday which you have family plans for…etc.) and brainstorm around how to side-step it. A great tip that has served me many times in the past is “when in doubt, inject training session before”. What I mean by this is do an extra session before the event that’s disrupting your schedule rather than expect to have time to squeeze it after. That way you guard yourself against Murphy’s Law!

And remember; be ruthlessly uncompromising in your desire to have-it-all! Oh by the way, have I mentioned that I need to hand in a university assignment before I leave?

----Did You Like This Article?---

Drop me a line on parttimegrappler@ymail.com or explore some of the recommended past articles on the right...

No comments: